Imports & Exports


International visitors wishing to bring their rifles to shoot in New Zealand will need to obtain, in advance, a permit to import. Your rifle will need to be on the approved type list. As well as your permit, you will also need to obtain a Visitor's firearms licence.

You should read the importing a firearm section on the NZ Police Website.

You will also need to check the regulation for the export of firearms from your home country.


If you wish to take your rifle, components, and ammunition abroad for competition purposes then you will need an export permit. Permits are issued free of charge by the International Security and Disarmament Division of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs. See export information on the MFAT website.

You will, of course, need to check the requirements for import of firearms at your foreign destination and obtain any necessary permits before you travel.

Other helpful documents

Notification of exempted sporting firearms export

Arms Act 1983 Latest print

Arms Regulations 1992 Current

Arms Amendment Act 2012



NZ Club Teams Postal - Entries Close

01 Aug 2024

Copyright © 2024 NRANZ | powered by Silverstripe | website by Rio Bravo Consulting